What to do on Mljet Island
Although Mljet isn’t a very large island, it is one of the gems of the Croatian coast.
Driving the length of this sparsely populated island would take about an hour. However, it holds many activities for travelers within its heavily forested landscape. That is why if you are looking for a respite from more heavily traveled areas of the country we recommend you give this paradise along the Adriatic islands a look. Here are some activities you may wish to partake in during one of your private travel tours in Croatia.
- Swim or sail through Odysseus Cave: The waters flowing through this cave are a stunning turquoise. You can choose to swim past its rocky background or take a small boat. You may also hike from the nearby village, Babino Polje, and witness some of the most amazing natural rock formation and forests.
- Hike in Mljet National Park: One of the many attractions of this beautiful National Park is its internal salt water lakes and St. Mary’s Island which lies in the middle of the larger lake. on the islet of St. Mary’s you can find a Benedictine monastery from the 12th century.
- Walk through Blato Village: Blato is a village on the island of Mljet and is one of the oldest villages in the region. It contains vineyards, fields, farms with old stone houses. The village provides a calm, contemplative getaway for tourists who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds.
- Explore the untouched beaches of Saplunara: Isolated and largely untouched, Saplunara Beach is a large, horseshoe, sandy beach, renowned for its beauty. This makes it the perfect place for couples to get away from it all. (In fact, the island was once used on the Croatian version of “Survivor” because of its isolation.) At the back of the beach there is a beautiful pine tree forest which adds to its surreal beauty.
- Bike around Veliko Jezero: You can get a workout and explore sleepy little hamlets by bike or on foot while the warm breezes of the Adriatic blow through your hair.
Finally, as with all places in Croatia you can spend time chatting with locals and sampling some of the delicious seafood that the region is known for. Our Croatia vacation packages are as varied and customized as you desire them to be.