Top Sights in Sibenik
Sibenik stands out among the other cities along the Adriatic Coast because was founded by Croats. This actually makes is unique for a Croatian city.
Other cities along the coast were founded by Greeks, Illyrians or the Romans.
However, this does not mean that Sibenik lacks the color and variety of these other cities. Sibenik offers a true taste of Croatia’s culture and gives visitors the opportunity to entertain themselves with a number of activities and sights.
Here are a few of Sibenik’s top attractions for those looking into a visit to this historical town.
- Cathedral of St. James: This impressive 15th century Cathedral is a must see for devout travelers, history buffs, and fans of antiquity. This UNESCO Heritage site is so that every year it attracts visitors from all over the world. Tourists are allowed to enter and view the St. James Cathedral Church – depending on the season – and see its main facade, its towering columns and its domed ceiling.
- Michael Fortress Sibenik: One of four fortresses in Sibenik, St. Michael’s Fortress was completely restored five years ago. It sits like a watchman overseeing the city yet is easily accessible on foot for those looking for a small hike. Inside the fort is a 1,000-plus seat outdoor concert venue which is in use today.
- Sibenik Marina and Waterfront: Croatia has its fair share of picturesque seaside locations. One of those that you will wish to visit is the Marina and Waterfront in Sibenik. On the west end of the city lays the marina fishing boats. On the other end are small cafes where you can sample a variety of fresh seafood.
- Krka National Park: The main entrance to the Krka Waterfall National Park is just 11 miles from Sibenik. Visitors can spend an entire day here as part of a day trip to take in the beauty of the park, walk in its trails and connect with the nature.
- Lawrence Monastery Sibenik: A retreat from the touristy places in Croatia is the Medieval Monastery Mediterranean Garden of St. Lawrence. There sits the Church of St. Lawrence which was built during the 17th century. Another feature of the monastery is it’s lovely garden which was opened to the public in 2007 as a park.
Yes, there are many standout places in Croatia. The great thing about our country is there is something for everyone. There is something for you, no matter if you want to party, recline on one of our beaches or spend some time in quiet contemplation while you take in a sight of one the views we mentioned. Our private travel tours in Croatia afford you the opportunity that few other adventure travel companies can do – variety.