We specialize in unique, exclusive, personalized travel planning to Croatia and its surrounding countries. We design individualized journeys, small group tours, deluxe cruises and exceptional excursions, suited to each client based on years of personal experience, ongoing research, relationships, and professional expertise.
Latest Posts

Passport Requirements

You need a passport to visit Croatia. Your U.S. passport should be valid for at least three months beyond your planned date of departure and the embassy strongly suggests that your passport have at least six months of validity. You don’t need a visa if you are a U.S. passport holder coming for tourist or business trips of less than 90 days within each 180 day period. Visit the Embassy of Croatia website for the most current visa information.

Although Croatia is a member of the European Union, note that it is not yet a member of the Schengen area, and a passport is required for travel between Croatia and other European Union member states. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see the State Department’s Schengen Fact Sheet.

All foreign citizens must register with the local police within 24 hours of arrival and inform them of any change in their address. If you are staying in a hotel or in accommodations rented through an accommodation company, the hotelier or accommodation company will register you automatically. Failure to register is a misdemeanor offense; some U.S. citizens have been fined for failing to register.

U.S. citizens already in Croatia who wish to remain in Croatia for more than 90 days must obtain a temporary residence permit. Please note that the first temporary stay permit must be obtained from the Croatian Embassy or Consulate in the United States.

In support of a residency application, applicants must meet strict documentation requirements. Due to the complexity of the process, those planning to apply should begin gathering the required documentation well in advance and should submit the application as soon as possible after arriving in the country. Necessary documents include a copy of their birth and, if applicable, marriage and divorce certificates, obtained no more than 90 days before application, as well as an FBI Criminal History Summary authenticated for use abroad. All documents must be translated into Croatian and have an “Apostille” stamp. Information on applying for Apostilles and authentication services is available from the website of the Department of State’s Office of Authentications.

U.S. citizens who need extensions of approved temporary stays should submit requests with the Aliens Affairs Section of their local police department having jurisdiction over their place of residence in Croatia. You should submit requests no later than 30 days in advance of the last day of authorized stay. Please see the embassy’s website for the latest information on procedures for obtaining residence or work permits. Please also be aware that the U.S. Embassy is not able to expedite or intervene in the issuance of Croatian visas. Also, please be aware that U.S. citizens traveling on passport reported as lost or stolen will not be allowed entry.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Croatia.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page. You can also go to Croatia’s Customs Information page for specific information about Croatia.

Military/SOFA Travelers: While active-duty U.S. military personnel may enter Croatia under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with proper Department of Defense (DOD) identification and travel orders, all SOFA family members, civilian employees, and contractors must have valid passports. Active-duty military personnel should obtain a tourist passport before leaving the United States to accommodate off-duty travel. DOD travelers should consult the DOD Foreign Clearance Guide, DOD 4500.54, before leaving the United States.

Call Now Button Skip to content