For the love of Truffles, we have a treat for you!
Truffles are a delicacy no matter where you live, but in Croatia, they take their truffles very seriously, and they have some amazing meals and dishes that use them throughout all of Croatia, but more so in the Istrian peninsula because of the truffles that are found during the summer in this area.
One of our client’s favorite excursions is our Truffle Hunting Experience! Such a unique outing to discover the ‘secrets’ to finding these hidden (and somewhat odiferous!) little nuggets of deliciousness.
Trying to make a truffle dish in the US takes a bit of diligence to find the truffles. Akin to quality caviar, it’s not always readily available in big piles of truffles in your grocery produce section! There are a few ‘truffle sauces’ and ‘truffle pastes’ that use a mixture of mushrooms along with truffles, so be careful that you find a true Black Truffle Paste. For this recipe, we tracked down a Minced Black Truffle in Olive Oil and Whole Truffles online, and had them delivered right to our door within 24 hours (thank you Amazon Prime)!
We bought them both, but one or the other for the recipe will suffice. And of course, if you have time, we highly recommend importing them directly from Croatia!
And because fuži isn’t a pasta shape that is readily available in the US either, we thought making it from scratch (as the Istrians do!) would be best.
We hope you enjoy this DELICIOUS dinner treat!
Traditional Istrian pasta recipe.
- For the Pasta:
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Semolina
- Generous pinch of salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- For the Truffle Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup butter
- 50 g Black Truffle Paste
- 2 or 3 whole truffles, thinly sliced/grated
- Parmesan Cheese (to your liking)
- Sift together the flour, semolina, and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture
- Crack 6 eggs into a bowl (to avoid any bits of shell)
- Pour all the eggs into the well
- Add the olive oil
- Mix with a fork, slowly incorporating the flour into the eggs/oil.
- When you can no longer use the fork, use your hands to finish incorporating the liquid into the flour.
- Knead the mixture until smooth and supple, 8 – 10 minutes. (do not scrimp on the kneading time. Get your muscles ready!)
- When the dough is nice and smooth, wrap in cling film, and set aside and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- After it’s had enough time to rest, unwrap, and cut into manageable pieces (4 or more) and use a rolling pin to quickly flatten the dough for rolling through a pasta machine. Don’t over work the dough.
- Run each flattened piece through the pasta machine until you reach your desired thickness. This recipe can be made into any pasta shape you want!
- To make Fuži: Using a square cookie or biscuit cutter (or just a knife!) cut out 1.5 in (4cm) squares of the fresh pasta, and using semolina to dust, wrap the squares of dough somewhat loosely around the handle of a cooking spoon on a diagonal, until the corner overlap, and slightly pinch the spot where they overlap. Repeat. (see video for visual!)
- After you’ve created all the fuži pasta, let them rest at room temperature. (You can make them ahead and let them dry, but they will take a little longer to cook.)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Wait to cook the pasta until your truffle cream sauce is ready. The fresh pasta takes about 8 – 10 minutes to cook, so plan accordingly. You want the pasta cooked to al dente and still hot at the same time the cream sauce is ready.
- For the truffle cream sauce, in a separate sauce pan, melt the 1/3 cup butter, add the black truffle paste/pate, and stir over a medium heat until bubbling.
- Add the heavy cream.
- Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, to your liking.
- Stirring constantly, cook down the cream sauce and truffle mixture until thick and to a consistency you like.
- When pasta is cooked and the sauce is ready, place the cooked fuži on your serving dish, add a little bit of the truffle cream sauce, dust with parmesan, and top with a few grated pieces of black truffle. ENJOY!