While in Lake Bled Slovenia, you MUST try the Bled Cream Cake, Kremna rezina, or affectionately called “Kremsnita”!
Each cafe and restaurant has their own version of it, but they are all the same: DELICIOUS!
After enjoying the special dessert, a walk around the lovely lake may be welcome! This cake is a Slovenian specialty, and if you have the chance to try it, we highly recommend it. It is made with wholesome ingredients like eggs, cream, and milk with a small amount of sugar. This dish is also known in parts of Austria and Germany.
It’s so good, we thought you might like to try it before you visit!
Slovenia Lake Bled Cream Cake Recipe:
Makes 10 slices
- 1 lb puff pastry
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- strips of lemon rind
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 Tbl white sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbl. rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbl powdered sugar
- Remove the puff pastry from the refrigerator and leave it, still wrapped, at room temperature for 20 minutes. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to an oblong 12 x 15 inches. Trim the pastry edges neatly, then prick all over with a fork. Cut into two rectangles, each one 6 x 15 inches.
- Place the puff pastry on a large baking sheet lined with baking paper and mark one rectangle into ten 3 inch squares, carefully cutting no more than halfway through the pastry. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While the puff pastry is chilling, start making the pastry cream. Put the milk and lemon rind in a small heavy pan and slowly bring to the boil. Whisk the egg yolks and 1 Tbl white sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Sift the flour and stir in.
- Remove the lemon rind from the milk and whisk the hot milk into the egg and flour mixture. Pour back into the pan. Thicken the custard by stirring over a low heat. Pour into a bowl, then cover. Leave until just cool, but not firmly set.
- Whisk the egg white until stiff and whisk in the remaining white sugar. Whip 2/3 cup of the heavy whipping cream until thick. Stir the rum into the custard. Gently fold the egg white mixture into the custard, followed by the whipped cream. Cover with wax paper and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Dampen the baking sheets around the pastry with cold water. Bake for 25 minutes, until nicely golden and light. Cool.
- Pour 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream into a chilled bowl. Add the vanilla extract and sift over 1/1 Tbl powdered sugar. Whip until fluffy.
- Place the unmarked pastry sheet on a board and spread with the pastry cream, then the whipped cream. Put the marked pastry sheet on top. Dust with powdered sugar